Q: What kind of driver’s license do I need to drive in Japan?

You need to have a valid International Driving Permit under Geneva Convention 1949 or Japanese license to drive in Japan.

The type of valid international driver’s license and necessary documents may vary according to your nationality.

Please refer to the page below to find what is necessary for you to drive in Japan.

International Driving Permit


 PR   Official Japanese Driving Licence Translation

ONLY drivers from Taiwan, Germany, Switzerland, France, Monaco, Belgium must bring an authorized translation document in Japanese and the domestic driver’s license.

A translation can be obtained through Driving-Japan (use voucher code “ToCoo22” for a 5 EUR discount), which can be delivered directly to your home outside of Japan and hotel address in Japan or printed in a 7-Eleven shop in Japan.